Apr

My gym day

My gym day!

Saturday is my gym day.

I walk my daughter to her Aikido Dojo — where she usually does her three hours split between the open and advanced classes — and make my way over to Gleason’s Gym for my own sweet 16.

Today’s practice will entail a straight no-chaser kind of morning:  four rounds of shadow boxing, four rounds of pads, four rounds on the double-ended bag with four rounds on the speed bag to finish the circuit.  Then it’s off to two-rounds of easy crunches on the sit-up chair as I mentally drift into a nice tired feeling in between catching glimpses of folks sparring in one of the boxing rings.

It’s become a kind of bliss.  My shirt half-soaked with sweat.  My face flushed.  Perspiration matted in my hair. My legs a little shaky as I make my way into the locker room to change; today kind of special, because instead of three hours, my prodigal will be spending her day at a seminar so free until 5:00 PM, I can tarry at the gym before taking my time walking home.

Reflecting as I walk; I know I’ll feel like summer: slow, deliberate, easy.  My body supple and warmed and ready for anything on my lazy meander up the hill near Gleason’s; smiling at the tourists under the Brooklyn Bridge overpass and finally returning to my usual self somewhere near Cadman Plaza where the rush of people will start to catch me back into the flow of a busy Saturday.

8 Responses to “My gym day”

1. 1 nadia Jaber
    April 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

Enjoy that time for yourself!

2. April 2, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Damn, girl. FOUR rounds on the speed bag at the end? Your shoulders are stronger than mine! Nice post, as always.

3. April 2, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Yeah, well, I did flag a bit during the 3rd round, but picked back up in the 4th;) Had a great workout with Len too, though our 4th round on the pads was really sad towards the end!

The best part was running into Mischa Merz whom I had never met in person! She’s just in from Australia and looking great!

4. April 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Gleasons Gym…Brooklyn Bridge, as you know i’m a Brit, i would love to vist the famous Gleasons or walk over Brooklyn Bridge.
    I took two classes this morning each lasting 2hours for my advanced guys,
    Mothers day tomorrow, do you have that in that in the States.

• April 2, 2011 at 2:56 pm

If your ever here, give us a call and we’ll take you on the tour! 😉

Re: Classes, wow, I’m impressed. My 48 minutes (not counting 16 one minute breaks) was t-o-u-g-h!

As for Mother’s Day, we celebrate it in May, I think it’s the 2nd Sunday. Happy Mother’s day to all the Mums in your world tomorrow!

5. April 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

You’re making me miss Downtown Brooklyn. I used to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge on my lunch hour as part of my exercise routine back in the 80s.

Glad your workouts are going well. I’m back on track, eating right, working out, dropping pounds, feeling sane. 🙂 All is well.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Bookmark and Share
free counters
Blog Directory

Blog Stats

• 684,726 hits

Twitter Updates

© Malissa Smith and Girlboxing, 2010-2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Malissa Smith and Girlboxing with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

%d bloggers like this: