Riding out the storm … things to do in a Hurricane!
If you’re at all like me, your life is somewhat circumscribed into bits of this and bytes of that on a fairly routine schedule. So what to do when there’s a hurricane on the way, especially when you live in NYC and there’s an unprecedented evacuation of the “A” zones (low-lying areas like lower Manhattan, Red Hook, Coney Island and the Rockaways — not to mention a lot of the coastal parts of Staten Island), subway and bus services running on their last hours and no Starbucks! OMG, as my young one likes to say!
Luckily, the stalwart of all stalwarts, Gleason’s Gym is open this morning, so I shall be able to get in my Saturday morning boxing fix … but, but. but … what then if one is stuck in the house for two days or worse yet, in a shelter or on a friend’s living room floor!
Well first off, charge up *all* of your electronics and I mean all ’cause even NYC might lose power for a while (especially if you are living in an A zone and decide to tempt fate when it comes to massive flooding).
There are also a boxing apps to download on your mobile device that’ll allow you to idle the time away.
1. For the couch potatoes in the bunch (and if you have an account) — get Netflix and have a boxing movie film festival! Titles available include:
– The Fighter, the fantastic Micky Ward biopic
– Homeboy, a 1998 boxing genre film starring Mickey Rourke & Christopher Walken
– Punch, in the tradition of Girlfight, a female boxer finds redemption in the ring.
Oh, and if you’re feeling like maybe you need to move around between features, here are a few workout suggestions!
– Crunch Cardio Salsa (yep, time to get the hips moving)
– Crunch Candlelight Yoga (my favorite)
2. Workout Apps!
– FitnessClass, on demand fitness video workouts
– Yoga, this app has terrific animated classes, two variations of the Sun Salutations, plus a library of poses. You can self time for 30, 45 or 60 minute workouts.
3. News Junkies!
1. CNN, a no-brainer!
2. Hurricane Watch HD (for true junkies!)
3. Watch ESPN, gives you access to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3 and ESPNU
Otherwise, stay safe and dry!