Blogs we like
NEW! BLOGS FOR THE STYLISH BLOG AWARDS!
1. The Glowing Edge – Talk about stylish, spend a minute on the site and you’re instantly calm! Aside from which Lisa Creech Bledsoe is a true woman warrior! As she says of her own blog, she is “speaker, writer, media ninja, live music fanatic, boxer chick. Online a bunch. Otherwise in the gym. Or possibly at a gig.”
2. Beats, Boxing and Mayhem – This blog has it all, terrific posts on boxing, hip-hop music and culture, plus some serious politics mixed in.
3. Inspiring Sports Women – She’s got that right. Lovely, inspiring writing about women’s athletics.
4. The Sweetest Thing – Inspired blog about the personal side of being a boxing woman.
5. My ish wish dish – Now this blog is truly stylish! My ish wish dish blogs about home style, cooking and life with two small boys on a shoestring. This blog has terrific recipes too.
6. Girl in the Ring – This blogsite is not so much for a stylish blog, as a website to help publicize Jill Morley’s much-anticipated documentary about women boxers.
If you are looking for blogs by women who talk about the sweet science from the perspective of hauling themselves to the gym, here are a few Girlboxing has found around the web you might enjoy.
Girl.Boxer.Southpaw: Girlboxing enjoys reading this blog. It offers insightful and inspiring pieces on what it means to get up and train. The link is here.
The Glowing Edge: Terrific blog that mixes boxing news, personal boxing stories and the daily stuff about life. The link is here.
The Sweetest Thing: A view of women’s boxing from Australia with a lot of salient points on the difficulties women face in the ring. The link is here.
Binnie Klein: Binnie Klein is a women after Girlboxing’s heart who wrote “Blows to the Head: How Boxing Changed my Mind.” The link is here.
As for straight-up news about women in boxing WBAN – Woman’s Boxing Network is worth checking out. Do they report on all the regional fights or have all the latest news all the time – not necessarily, but given their focus WBAN does a good job of keeping women’s professional boxing in focus. The link is here.
Women’s Sports and Entertainment Network: This site reports on several different sports including women’s boxing. A recent promotional piece on Alicia “Slick” Ashley’s upcoming January 13, 2011 fight caught my eye. The link to the site is here.
Women Talk Sports – does a good job of reporting and publicizing a wide variety of women’s sports and sporting events. The site also links to blog entries across the spectrum of women’s sports and does a fair job of reporting on women’s boxing and women’s MMA. The site is comprehensive and worth checking out here.
Uppercut Magazine.com – Girlboxing came across this site on a recommendation. It is fairly new and focuses on a range of boxing and MMA topics, however, it’s content includes a few nice pieces on the state of women’s boxing, giving it fairly equal play. The link is here.
PS – Please pass along any blogs you like about women’s boxing in the comments field.